Wednesday 30 April 2008

Week 5 - HiAb & Reach FLT

Well this was just going to be another 5 days work experience at the Blackburn Nightfreight depot but I discovered that HiAb trg was available for Tue/Wed & Reach FLT Thu/Fri so what the hell; I'm here anyway and for a few more quid (Its all relative !) I thought I may as well take the opportunity !

So, Tue/Wed was on the HiAb. Now I have in the past watched HiAb operators with a degree of awe at how smooth and coordinated they were, believing that it was some sort of 'black art' ! I've watched helicopter blades and engines being raised/lowered and thought at the time that these guys must be highly skilled; but hey, its not so hard ! OK lets be realistic here, I'm by no means a proficient operator but have successfully passed a Pre Use Inspection, Theory and Practical tests and can operate the loader safely and competently. I have to say that, other than the Class C trg, the 2 days on the HiAb have been the most enjoyable of all the other activities ! Lets face it guys (and girls !) this is 'big boys toys' !!! Using hydraulics, hooks, slings, chains and lifting loads. What a hoot; really enjoyed it !


Thu/Fri Reach FLT training. Now I was a little unsure about this because I wasnt entirely sure that I would ever have the need to use it, but what the hell I'm here anyway so may as well take advantage ! Really glad I did because I really did enjoy it ! Not as much as the Hi-Ab (proper big boys toy) but it was great all the same. Mmm sitting sideways on to the FLT take a little adjusting to and steering what seems like the wrong way, when going forward. Anyway all good fun, both of us reached test standard easil by Thu pm so after a quick dry run on Fri morning we got into the testing. Pre-Use inspection, Theory, Practical. Same practical course as the Counterbalance FLT, same fault score for failure (40) and same course time (34 minutes). Had 1 faff with the positioning of a pallet. Had to shunt to get it past the upright and still managed to put it down squint (3 points) and because I'd used extra hyd movements to achieve it I got some more for excessive ctr use (1 point). So finished in 31 minutes with a fault score of 4. Well happy with that. So Bank Holiday week-end and start C+E (Artic) trg on Tue with test on Sat back at Steeton. Now if I'm honest; this is THE course I came for !!! Bring it on ;-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are doing great Col. I wish I could do this much training. Good luck with the C+E. I'm sure you will do it no probs.

New Blood